Thread: Contao test install on XAMPP (Linux)

New user

Default Contao test install on XAMPP (Linux)

I recently untarred Contao in the web-root directory of a local XAMPP-on-Linux setup, and attempted to follow Contao's installation instructions; the Contao installer wouldn't cooperate (the installer also tried to use the Safe Mode hack, but that didn't work either - presumably because this is all happening on the same machine, or perhaps due to permissions problems). After a frustrating round of re-trying, I've ended up changing the user & group of Contao's folder to (I think?) match that of the XAMPP installation in which it lives (i.e.
    Code:
    sudo chown -R nobody:root /opt/lampp/htdocs/contao-2.10.2
    ).

Does this sound like a reasonable way to proceed, or a bad idea?

--
    Thanks
    David

Experienced user

Default Re: Contao test install on XAMPP (Linux)

If the installer can't write localconfig.php then it will not work. But Contao must be able to write other folders as well. So whatever you need to do to get it writable for the user that Contao is running as would be the minimum required.

What does the installation instructions say about this? There is a part about access rights...

New user

Default Re: Contao test install on XAMPP (Linux)

OK, thanks - I'm glad I was "on the right track"...

The installation instructions are not explicit about this particular kind of situation; it would be helpful to have a section called "Check Contao's file and directory permissions" somewhere on http://www.contao.org/installing-contao.html .

I ended up finding and using the Contao Check script, and making my setup conform to that. Hopefully that's all I need to do in this regard.

--
    David