Thread: Contao was included in a "Top CMSs" List

Experienced user

Default Contao was included in a "Top CMSs" List

Don't know if anyone else caught this already:
    http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011/10 ... um=twitter

Feelings are mixed -- there are some questionable inclusions/exclusions in that list, but it's nice that Contao's making some noise.

But at the same time the "weaknesses" listed make no sense to me. I agree there's not a lot of premium themes available (which I could care less about), but sluggish in the back-end and suitable only for smaller sites? How the heck did he reach those conclusions?

Has anyone ever had performance issues with the back-end? Maybe he's referring to the extension repository/manager?
    Brian

Experienced user

Default Re: Contao was included in a "Top CMSs" List

Has anyone ever had performance issues with the back-end?
    Never, and thats in a shared hosting environment too.
    He's talking through his hat in regards to that ... i figure he's looked at it, thought "looks complicated", and written his review.

User

I must say that he has a point regarding the back-end, which can be improved a lot.

On a big site with a lot of pages and articles, the article tree becomes hard to read and navigate. The structure here should be overworked. In an interview Leo did he said that in version 3 the way articles and pages work will be redesigned in some way.

Also, the overall design in the backend should be tweaked I think to be more inspiring. It almost looks like a webpage from 1995. Wordpress has a much better look and feel here, though not perfect.

Some icons should also be changed and be bigger. For example: the file manager-icon next to where you choose an image to an news item is almost invisible. Took me a long time before a discovered that little gem.

But in the end, Contao I think is the most promising CMS I have ever tried so far!

Experienced user

Contao is not sluggish. I agree about the back-end problems for larger websites in terms of overview. Compared to Joomla the overview in the backend is much, much better.

The article names the nig three as the best CMS'es. But I disagree that they are. They simply have a large userbase.

Wordpress: still a must try, I have it installed and by default it starts within 10 minutes and acts like a blog then. But I'm assured it is not just a blog anymore

Joomla: nothing really wrong with the system. Except the backend is the most noticeable drawback. It misses coherency (every module or plugin can define it's own way of interfacing) and it also impossible to just take over from someone and expect to be able to find anything right away. I made several extensions and am still at a loss why there are two completely different types of extensions that can do about the same things.

Drupal: I loved it when I first found it. The first CMS that was easy to extend. Just know the function name and you were done. The taxonomy was nice as well. But in reality the code is horrible. Drupal is written as an OOP CMS except it does not rely on classes but pseudo-classes instead. what is does is simulating classes by using a structure of function names they designed, but then proudly proclaiming they do not use classes (at least in the reference books I bought)

The three best CMS'es I do not know, but I think TYPO3 and Contao are candidates for two of the positions.