Thread: Accordion issue with IE8 after LiveUpdate to 2.11

User

Default Accordion issue with IE8 after LiveUpdate to 2.11

I have updated two sites to Contao version 2.11 from 2.10.4 using LiveUpdate. Both sites are based on the Modern Orange theme and have a accordion on the home page. When I now load the home page with IE8:

- the Home Page shows a "Error on page" notification in the bottom left corner.
    - opening a box of the accordion takes a long time
    - an opened box is empty (the content is shortly visible when loading the page)

I have tested on 3 computers and the issue is reproducible under IE8/XP, IE8/w7 and IE8 compatibilty mode (of IE9/2008).
    Everything works fine with Safari, Firefox and IE9.

The issue is clearly IE8 related, but I do not see the same on the contao-themes page, which I assume runs under 2.11 and uses the same accordion. Any idea where I should look next?

Experienced user

Default Re: Accordion issue with IE8 after LiveUpdate to 2.11

There is a bug regarding mootools reported and fixed for 2.11.1, which I think causes your problem.
    https://github.com/contao/core/issues/3956
    If need be you could replace the files mentioned in that issue (2x mootools core .js, and 2 x template files - the links in the last 4 posts by Leo) with the fixed version (view file, then cut/paste raw) - or just wait for the next update.

User

Thank you for your reply. In my case waiting for the next fix release will be the smartest thing to do.

Experienced user

Not sure how much of this is in that thread (can't read it and can't translate it).

But the 1.4 branch of Mootools is a bit of a mess. The entire branch has a brutal memory leak in older IE versions where every time you refresh the page it eats up 2-3 more MB of memory until you run out. 1.4.3 crashed IE7 all together, and the whole FX class that controls animations is essentially broken in all browsers. Oh and also the Element.adopt() method has a big-time memory leak as well in IE.

Contao actually ships with multiple versions of Mootools, and I rolled back to 1.3.2 by going into /system/constants.php and changing the Mootools version. I THINK this breaks Leo's custom select menu thingy, though. I just turned it off.

I used to love Mootools -- preferred it way more to jQuery. But this 1.4 branch is a bit depressing and has me actually looking forward to the option to switch to jQuery in the frontend.
    Brian

Experienced user

Hey Brian, the thread just talks about Mootools 1.4.4 affecting the accordians, and Leos patch.

With me, changing to Contao 2.11.0 affected Menumatic menus, so I tried the new patched files and that fixed my issue. Menumatic uses the FX class, and it works fine (once the patch is applied) in the browsers I've tested on (ie7,ff,chrome,opera).

Good to know about switching via constants.php

Also Contao sites and others (including contao.org) I have checked out using IE7 would often crash the browser - now i know the reason why thanks :D

I'm in an annoying position of not being able to upgrade IE from 7, due to my computers refusal to upgrade the Vista Service Packs, so I can't tell how the patch affects later IE - but 7 is fine so I'll guess later ones are too.

Same as you, quite looking forward to having jquery included in the core

Experienced user

Yeah, same thing here -- it was Menumatic when I first noticed the Fx issues. Then I found a bunch of bug reports in Github.

I've tried all sorts of ways to test IE (I'm running Windows 7), and nothing was proving to be reliable. So finally I just created a Virtualbox VM with Windows XP SP1 and use that. Then I cloned it and updated to SP3 to get IE8. So now I have 2 separate VMs -- one with IE7 and IE8. Don't know if that's an option with your setup, but I'd recommend it if so.
    Brian

Experienced user

Nah, I hate tinkering with computers... I've adopted a policy of checking ie last, and using a friends computer to do it

User

The issue has been solved by upgrading to Contao release 2.11.1

adamstuart07
    Gast

Friends What you exactly do for solving the problem tell me how do i update the Contao to the latest version so that my problem also get resolved please give me a proper suggestion for that..

Waiting for your next post...

Experienced user

what version are you running now?