Thread: yw_birthdaylist extension problems w Contao 2.11.2

User

Default yw_birthdaylist extension problems w Contao 2.11.2

Good afternoon:

I'm working on a website for a restaurant that wants to display a list of the current member birthdays for the current day.

I've been working with the extension yw_birthdaylist and have had nothing but problems with it. The developer included a commented out sample template to display birthdays, but when I uncomment the template I get errors on the website including a blank white screen when I should be seeing a list of the day's birthdays.

My testing so far leads me to believe that the extension only will display one birthday, even if there are multiple birthdays occurring on that date. It doesn't seem to do a "for each" loop properly through the database.

The one time the extension did work (one day only) it correctly showed one birthday and the calculated age. The next day I get "no birthdays today" even if I change the date of the member birthday to test it.

Does anybody have any experience with this extension and actually has got it to work on their website? I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA

User

Default Re: yw_birthdaylist extension problems w Contao 2.11.2

I've been in touch with the developer of this extension Yanick Witschi who seems to be a really nice guy. He is no longer maintaining this extension and at my suggestion, went ahead and removed it from extension catalog. I suspect that the extension has too many issues to be used by the average Contao user.

The problems I'm seeing have to do with how the extension is attempting to read the UNIX time stamps which are problematic at best. Yanick mentions that the Contao team elected to use the UNIX timestamp to make the Contao platform work with other database types like Postgre etc.

A quick check in my "Murach's PHP and MySQL" leads me to believe that the solution to fixing this extension may be using a DateTime object in the coding. My (younger, smarter) sister has her Ph.D in Computer Science/Data Mining and is much better than me at PHP/MySQL coding. I'm asking her to take a stab at fixing this extension to get it to work properly. As it is now configured, it does not.

Yanick, thanks for the quick response, you rock! If anybody has any suggestions on this extension, or has modified it to work, please let me know.

Ernest McDermon
    Snellville, GA