Thread: [SOLVED] manual update to contao 2.11.2.1

New user

Default [SOLVED] manual update to contao 2.11.2.1

Hi When upgrading from typolight to contao 2.11.2.1 I get an error when I want to go the website.

Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Query error: Table 'user_typolight.tl_theme' doesn't exist (SELECT l.*, t.templates FROM tl_layout l LEFT JOIN tl_theme t ON l.pid=t.id WHERE l.id='1' OR l.fallback=1 ORDER BY l.id='1' DESC LIMIT 0,1) thrown in /home/user/public_html/system/libraries/Database.php on line 686
    It seems to me there is a table missing in the database (tl_theme ?).

I can login into the backend like before. The website just can not be viewed.

How can this be fixed ?

Thanks

Default Re: manual update to contao 2.11.2.1

Did you run the Contao install tool and the corresponding database update routines?
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Yes, but it can not update the database, although the connection to the database says it's ok and it is a MySQL database.

Did you run the Contao-Check to check whether the update has been installed properly and is working?

Further, try to open the back end module "Extension manager" and perform the "Update database" action.
    → Support options

New user

The contao-check.php gives all good results, except that SOAP is not enabled
    Code:
    Contao 2.11.2 check
    PHP configuration
    Parameter                •             	Value	Description
    PHP version	 	     5.2.17	Contao requires PHP 5.2 or greater.
    Safe mode	 	         Off	        Recommended setting is Off.
    Maximum execution time	 	120	Recommended setting is 30 or greater.
    Memory limit	 	    64M   	Recommended setting is 16M or greater.
    Register globals	       • On   	Recommended setting is Off.
    File uploads	 	  On	        Recommended setting is On.
    Upload maximum filesize	 32M	Recommended setting is 8M or greater.
    SOAP extension  	•  Off	Recommended setting is On.

If there are any warnings, Contao might not work properly. If the PHP safe_mode is enabled (second line), you have to use the "Safe Mode Hack" to run Contao, otherwise you will not be able to create or modify files or to use the Live Update Service.

File permissions
    Parameter	•	Value	Description
    Operating system	 	Linux	Linux ***** 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 02:55:09 EST 2007 i686
    Create directory	 	OK	Successfully created directory "contao-check"
    Directory permissions	 	755	Recommended directory permission setting is 775 or 755 or 750.
    Directory owner	 	*****	The new directory is owned by you.
    Create file	 	OK	Successfully created file "contao-check.txt"
    File permissions	 	644	Recommended file permission setting is 664 or 644 or 660 or 640.
    File owner	 	*****	The new file is owned by you.

If there are any warnings, you have to use the "Safe Mode Hack" to run Contao, otherwise you will not be able to create or modify files or to use the Live Update Service. Under no circumstances should you try to solve this problem by changing the file permissions!
    There are no warnings.

In the backend module extension manager check/update database gives this result:
    Code:
    Fatal error: Could not load class SoapClient in /home/user/public_html/system/functions.php on line 104

#0 /home/user/public_html/system/functions.php(104): __error(256, 'Could not load ...', '/home/user/p...', 104, Array)
    #1 /home/user/public_html/system/modules/rep_client/RepositoryBackendModule.php(136): __autoload('Could not load ...', 256)
    #2 /home/user/public_html/system/modules/backend/BackendModule.php(116): RepositoryBackendModule->compile('SoapClient')
    #3 /home/user/public_html/system/modules/rep_client/RepositoryBackendModule.php(88): BackendModule->generate()
    #4 /home/user/public_html/system/modules/rep_client/RepositoryManager.php(71): RepositoryBackendModule->generate()
    #5 /home/user/public_html/system/modules/backend/Backend.php(234): RepositoryManager->generate()
    #6 /home/user/public_html/contao/main.php(120): Backend->getBackendModule()
    #7 /home/user/public_html/contao/main.php(230): Main->run('repository_mana...')
    #8 {main}

Okay, since you have no PHP SOAP extension loaded you get the error message in the "Extension manager" back end module.

You may want to try to open the following URL directly (replace http://www.example.com with your hostname!):

Code:
    http://www.example.com/contao/main.php?do=repository_manager&update=database
    Can you perform then the update of the database?

BTW: There is an extension [nusoap] which allows the usage of the extension repository if no PHP SOAP module is available. But, first of all, I would rather bother to perform the database update accordingly.
    → Support options

New user

I performed the command as shown by you. I got redirected to the backend login then, when logging in I get another error:

Fatal error: Could not load class SoapClient in /home/user/public_html/system/functions.php on line 104

So I decided to get rid of the localconfig.php in /system/config/ to run the /contao/install.php again

This went good again (got connected to the database) but it still will not update the database.

[attachment=0:17oaby0u]contao.JPG[/attachment:17oaby0u]

I decided to open phpMyAdmin to look at the database, and strange enough, there is a tl_theme table now ... wasn't there yesterday. So it did something ...

btw, thanks for taking the time to get a look at this problem

Try to drop the table "tl_theme" from the database and run the Contao install tool again. From which version did you do the update? Did you perform the upgrade procedure in only one (big) step? Often, it is better to do smaller update steps, i.e. an update from one minor version to the next (e.g. 2.7.x -> 2.8.x -> 2.9.x -> 2.10.x -> 2.11.x). I hope you have a working backup copy of your previous installation.
    → Support options

New user

Ok I dropped the tl_theme table, ran the install tool again, got this message
    [attachment=0:3iyw6sls]CONTAO-02.PNG[/attachment:3iyw6sls]

then when confirming the update run, I got this error:

Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Query error: Duplicate column name 'pid' (ALTER TABLE `tl_module` ADD `pid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0') thrown in /home/user/public_html/system/libraries/Database.php on line 686

#0 /home/user/public_html/system/libraries/Database.php(184): Database_Statement->query('ALTER TABLE `tl...')
    #1 /home/user/public_html/contao/install.php(550): Database->query('ALTER TABLE `tl...')
    #2 /home/user/public_html/contao/install.php(961): InstallTool->run()
    #3 {main}

If you performed the update from TYPOlight to Contao you certainly have gotten several of these update buttons, don't you? That is, "Run version 2.8 update", "Run version 2.9 update", "Run version 2.9.2 update", "Run version 2.10 update". If not, something went wrong.
    → Support options

New user

no, I get just the "run the 2.9 update" and then immediately the error as in previous post.

It is an update from Typolight to Contao yes.

Okay, that is probably the reason why the update did not work properly.

I would switch to your previous database and file backup (that you hopefully made before) and perform the update process in smaller steps (i.e. from one minor version to the next as already suggested).
    → Support options

New user

Ok I will try to do that.

But where can I find those previous verions ? There's only 1 version on the download page ?

I can see a bunch of versions on SourceForge, do I need to get all of them ?

I would go this way (for example):

However, make sure to always run the install tool and to update the database structure accordingly (where necessary).
    → Support options

New user

So, after a few boring hours I can tell you that after putting up again the (backed-up) original website, then numerous upgrades, it seems all works well again, updated to 2.11.3.

So BIG thanks to you xchs for helping out, next time we meet I'll buy the beers

Cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by xchs View Post
    I would go this way (for example):

However, make sure to always run the install tool and to update the database structure accordingly (where necessary).
    i'm trying to test a local 2.6 to 2.9 upgrade, but get stuck in the install tool where the "update database" button either keeps loading or stops with a blank page...
    do i have to use the first "update database" button with the "utf8_general_ci" option also or can i just skip that? (i think my database has a different collation, but i did press it now...dunno if it did anything or not...)
    and are there any other install files to download before the 2.8.4 version?

i think it first asked me to push somekind of "update with 2.8 database" and "update with 2.9 database" buttons and only then the "update database tables" page came up (but is now stuck on it)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy2 View Post
    either keeps loading or stops with a blank page...
    A blank page might be due to limited server resources when e.g. the script runs into a timeout.
    → Support options