Thread: Calculations and conversions

Experienced user

Default Calculations and conversions

I thought it handy to have some formulas readily available in Contao. So I'm trying an extension for that: http://www.contao.org/extension-list/vi ... ulate.html

The extension can convert several values, and calculate the distance between two points on the globe. I'd like to expand the class and get some feedback. I'm sure the distance calculation would be used, but what else should such a class as this need to be able to do?

User

Default Re: Calculations and conversions

I can certainly use the distance calculation - thanks.

This site seems to have most conversions covered onlineconversion.com maybe area, power and energy would be the most popular?

Experienced user

Default Re: Calculations and conversions

I was looking at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_units but the site you mention contains many values that are not in the list I'm using I can certainly use that!

But I don't just want conversion, also things like area calculation of shapes and perhaps area underneath graphs. Perhaps some more complex calculations as well. The distance formula is rather simple (and I looked it up), compared to what I once had to know in school.

One thing I haven't looked at is the size of the class, or the most efficient way to do this. For now this seems to be quick enough and should also be flexible. I just need to expand (and make sure the values are correct; the very first version had some conversions backwards *ashamed*).

I'm also doubting about the units names. I chose to keep the length and mass without prefix, but this way it might become unclear? Then I don't want to put everything in subarrays that requires the user to indicate the type of conversion (another parameter). I'm not sure what the best approach would be...

Again, all help appreciated.