Thread: Publishing FAQ - how to ?

New user

Default Publishing FAQ - how to ?

I am obviously missing something fundamental here.

In a default installation of Contao the following appear beneath Content in the admin control panel:

Articles
    News
    Events
    FAQ
    Newsletters
    Form generator
    Comments

If I go into FAQ in Content I add a couple of Categories.

In each Category within FAQ I add several questions and answers using the "New Question" tool.

How the heck do I add the FAQ Categories and the questions/answers they contain into a page so that when the page is published and the navigation link is clicked the FAQ categories are listed, with their Q&A contents displayed if a visitor clicks to go into one of the categories ?

Like I say, I am obviously missing something very fundamental here, and it's very frustrating.

In all other respects Contao ticks every box and it's in-page content restriction is a superb feature with high value for the intended project I have in mind, but I just can't seem to get my head around being able to publish a link anywhere in the site navigation that will display FAQ questions/answers.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can have a light bulb moment ?

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: Publishing FAQ - how to ?

It's the same principle as the news items.

Prepare pages
    You need to create the content inside Content>FAQ
    make the appropriate modules Layout>Themes>…
    place modules in the Content>Articles>…
    view the site

you can do this a number of ways but lets just look at the default and least intuitive one

prepare your pages under "Site Structure" - make 3 pages: FAQ page (full list of Answers and Questions), FAQ list (just Questions) and FAQ Reader(Just Answers).

make your FAQ items via the Content>FAQ. Don't forget to choose a "Redirect page" in the tree structure - choose the FAQ Reader page you've just made. take note that title FAQ alias can also be defined here.

make your modules, you can find it here Layout>Themes>Edit from end modules….(3rd icon from left in your theme).
    click Add module, call it whatever, in this example "FAQ page - shop"
    Choose module type: FAQ Page
    Select a FAQ Category (it'll make sense when you see it)
    Save it.
    Do the same for FAQ Reader and FAQ list.

To get it to appear somewhere on a page you have to put it in an article.
    Go to Content>Articles make an article in the FAQ page.
    Create an Element type on the page (the default will be 'Text') and just choose "Module" from the dropdown menu. You will get an additional sub section with Module under dropdown menu choose "FAQ Page". Now do the same for the other modules.

Done!

Naturally if you have more than one category, you will need to produce more FAQ modules.

There are more interesting combinations, using less pages, like having the modules FAQ List and FAQ reader on one page. This would only show one answer at a time, under a list of questions.

or have a FAQ page module (all list of Questions and Answers) on one page and custom list of titles (Questions) on top of the page, that links (scrolls) to the FAQ Answers on the same page (traditional FAQ method). For example if your FAQ page module was on a page called "shop", you would just create a link with url.com/shop#FAQ-alias-goes-here or with prefix url.com/shop.html#FAQ-alias-goes-here.
    geung