Thread: text field is not available for "Product variants wizard"

User

Default text field is not available for "Product variants wizard"

Hi
    I'm trying to add field type "text field" to the variants, but there is no option "add to product variants wizard" for it.

This option is available only if I choose select, radio ... Could you tell me - this is a bug or this was done in purpose?

Short explanation why I need this:

I have products which have different sizes - L x W x H in mm, but price is the same. Values are very different so there is no sense to create this as a select box (otherwise I have to create select box for 10-4000 mm).

if variants is not something I should use for this, could you suggest another way.

Thank you in advance.

Experienced user

Default Re: text field is not available for "Product variants wizard

There is no sense in creating a variant for that field either. Why not make the fields customer editable and not add it to the wizard. As far as I know that should make the fields available?? (Right?)

You cannot create variations out of textfields because the backend doesn't know all possible values. If it did know then a select is just as good/bad.

User

Thank you for the reply.

This is furniture shop. So one item can have 3-4 variants. Another item can have 2 and so on. If you add them as variants - you will have 6 records.
    Once you have a huge catalog you will end up with hundreds of different sizes, and it would be very difficult to select something from selectbox.

or maybe I misunderstood how variants works.

Experienced user

You are right, but if there is no stock, no combination that is impossible to order and no pricechange then you do not need variants, but simple customer input fields.

If you need some more control over available options without using variations you an take a look at some of the extensions I've made. They might not work without changes in newer versions...

Experienced user

Hey Dmitry

You are misunderstanding. You create all variants options, but every product doesn't need to have all options with a price, e.g.

Attributes:
    Color (red, green, blue)
    Size (S, M, L)

Variant generator will then give you the colors and sizes you want to render for:
    Let's say you only have green items in all sizes, blue items in Small and then none in Red. Then you will only check Green and blue, and all the sizes.

Then in the Quick Edit screen that follows the generator, you enter the prices and published for each actual combination.
    You can then return to the product screen and see the child products (+) you can then also delete the ones you don't need. Only the combinations that are there will be selectable from the FE.