Thread: Using Contao with CDN (CloudFront)

New user

Default Using Contao with CDN (CloudFront)

Hi,

I'm maintaining a website that is hosted in Germany and would like to use CDN, CloudFront in particular, in order to increase PageSpeed for distant areas, mostly in the USA. I have been trying to set up a subdomain that would mirror the contents of the main domain and would be then used as the origin on the CloudFront system - something like www2.domain.com that is handled in exactly the same way as www.domain.com

How should I set up this new domain in Contao? If I create a new site tree it would require its own content and would not mirror the main one. If I do not then the www2.domain.com always redirects to www.acrolinx.com. I suppose I need to configure Apache accordingly but is there anything specific that needs to be done within Contao?

I found the CDN Contao Extension in the resources https://contao.org/en/extension-list/vi ... 09.en.html but it looks like after Contao version 2.7 it was integrated somehow into the core, so it wouldn't be of help to install it additionally.

Thanks for your help!
    Felix

Experienced user

Default Re: Using Contao with CDN (CloudFront)

I am not sure about that extension, but could it be that the feature that made it into the core are the fields "Files URL" and "Assets URL", which are fields of a root page? They allow to serve content from a different location.

The rootpage has the option to set a domain name. If you do, that root is committed to that particular domain (for example ww2.domain.com or domain.com) But if you don't set it, any domain will work. If your Installation only hosts one website, then you might be able to leave that field blank. I think that would make ww2.domain.com the same website as www.domain.com or just domain.com, but at least a perfect mirror.

I have absolutely no clue what cloudfront does and why it can't get the content from your main website. So I can't really help you. I hope the above helps in any way.

New user

Default Re: Using Contao with CDN (CloudFront)

Thanks for the reply, Ruud. The fields 'Files URL', 'Script URL' seem to be indeed coming from the CDN plugin. I will try working with them and will report back the results I get.