Default Could not connect to the repository server

Hi guys

I cannot seem to get the repository to work
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Do I need to add new extensions to php?

imported_Nina
    Gast

Default Re: Could not connect to the repository server

Please download the Contao check. It will tell you if there's something missing on your server.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    Please download the Contao check. It will tell you if there's something missing on your server.
    Thanks Nina
    I get the following errors when running the check

Requirements

( ! ) Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to contao.org:80 (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. ) in C:\wamp\www\contao\check\controller\repository.php on line 72
    Call Stack
    # Time Memory Function Location
    1 0.1615 684136 {main}( ) ..\index.php:0
    2 0.5080 807328 Router::dispatch( ) ..\index.php:49
    3 0.5527 843472 Index->run( ) ..\index.php:45
    4 0.5949 881416 include( 'C:\wamp\www\contao\check\views\index.phtml' ) ..\index.php:29
    5 0.5960 881416 Index->canUseRepository( ) ..\index.phtml:32
    6 0.6163 894224 Repository->canConnect( ) ..\index.php:91
    7 0.6163 894544 fsockopen ( ) ..\repository.php:72

( ! ) Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\wamp\www\contao\check\controller\repository.php on line 74
    Call Stack
    # Time Memory Function Location
    1 0.1615 684136 {main}( ) ..\index.php:0
    2 0.5080 807328 Router::dispatch( ) ..\index.php:49
    3 0.5527 843472 Index->run( ) ..\index.php:45
    4 0.5949 881416 include( 'C:\wamp\www\contao\check\views\index.phtml' ) ..\index.php:29
    5 0.5960 881416 Index->canUseRepository( ) ..\index.phtml:32
    6 0.6163 894224 Repository->canConnect( ) ..\index.php:91
    7 12.0854 895656 fclose ( ) ..\repository.php:74
    You cannot use the Extension Repository. More information …
    You cannot use the Live Update. More information …
    You do not need the Safe Mode Hack. More information …

imported_Nina
    Gast

It looks like your server doesn't allow a connection to contao.org - maybe a firewall setting. Contact your server administrator, maybe he/she's able to help you with that.

SOAP needs to get access to *.contao.org if you want to use the extension repository. If you want to use the live update, you'll also need access to *.inetrobots.com.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    It looks like your server doesn't allow a connection to contao.org - maybe a firewall setting. Contact your server administrator, maybe he/she's able to help you with that.

SOAP needs to get access to *.contao.org if you want to use the extension repository. If you want to use the live update, you'll also need access to *.inetrobots.com.
    Sorry, but if I were a server administrator, I would say this is impossible.

First, many firewalls, at least the ones I use, are acting on IP Adresses, not on names. Before I can set firewall rules I have to resolve the names to IPs.

Second, the meaning of * is ambiguous in this context. Yes, there is a wildcard entry for inetrobots.com, but not for contao.org

Code:
    $ host *.inetrobots.com
    *.inetrobots.com has address 89.107.187.60
    $ host *.contao.org
    Host *.contao.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    But maybe you meant the firewall should allow communication to every name that exists in the domain? But how should one tell what names exists? If I got my command line right, I would say your dns server does not allow zone transfers, and this is a good thing.

Code:
    $ dig @anycast.regdns1.de. contao.org axfr

; <<>> DiG 9.7.6-P1 <<>> @anycast.regdns1.de. contao.org axfr
    ; (2 servers found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ; Transfer failed.

Anyways, there is another issue with the firewalls
    let's assume that access is only necessary to

www.contao.org
    contao.org
    www.inetrobots.org

Now begins another kind of pain because the entries are frequently changing. Also note that www.contao.org and contao.org are not necessarily resolving to the same IP. Since then the IPs are changing 2 weekly, approximately. One needs a good monitoring for this, but even then, every change of the IP is resulting in a short time where connection is not possible (until firewall is changed).

This frequently change of the IPs are *very* unfriendly to firewall administrators.
    To assist server administrators, you would have to tell them all possible IP Ranges.

Kind Regards/Liebe Grüsse
    Markus

New user

I am having this same problem, but no errors on the contao check page... any ideas?