Thread: Problem with ftp

New user

Default Problem with ftp

Hi peope,

I'm newbie to Contao and i'm stucked at the first step of the installation.
    I'm installing Contao on Opensuse Linux, Apache2 server. My contao package is extracted to public_html folder.
    I have created host name and virtual path for it and I'm starting the installation successfully.
    But in the first step I'm asked to fill FTP hostname, the relative path from the FTP server to the Contao folder, FTP username and FTP password.
    I have installed vsFTPd server and created FTP user...
    i can start and log into ftp with that password. Since this is the case the ftp server exists along with the user..
    However when I try to save the ftp setting with:

FTP hostname: localhost
    Relative path to Contao directory (e.g. httpdocs/): public_html/contao
    FTP username: ftp_user
    FTP password: ftp_passw

either nothing happens (the form is reloaded without data) or it gives a feedback that the relative path is incorrect.
    Can somebody please suggest to me about how to handle this problem?

Thank you ~
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kdzekov; 02/14/2014 at 16:16.

Hi kdzekov,

you can check the functionality with the Safe Mode Hack checking tool, too. Download the archive, extract the script "smhcheck.php" to the root of your Contao installation and run it by opening http://contao/smhcheck.php

I suspect that the "Relative path to Contao directory" (ftpPath) that you have specified, is incorrect. Please note that the given path must end with a trailing slash, i.e. in your case something like "public_html/contao/" or "public_html/core-3.2.7/".

Anyway, it would be much better to do without the SMH (aka FTP mode)! I'd recommend to run the PHP process as FastCGI or suPHP. It runs all PHP code in the context of a user (different from the Apache user). In most cases this is the FTP user, i.e. the user that owns the files.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options