Thread: Front end template import

New user

Default Front end template import

Hi,

Is there any way to import a Contao front end template for a site (eg:abc.com) from another Contao CMS site (eg:xyz.com) ?
    Please comment.

User

Run the install tool again. You can choose templates from there.

However i think you're talking about external templates from other websites, or?

New user

Quote Originally Posted by markclaus View Post
    Run the install tool again. You can choose templates from there.

However i think you're talking about external templates from other websites, or?
    Yes I have template in another contao domain and would like to install that template in another site which is already up and running.

User

If its from another contao based website, you need to export the template by using the BackupDB extension. Then you can import the generated .cto file with the contao install tool.

User

Just if it is the same version. Otherwise you need to update.

New user

Thanks for your comments.
    Ok. I will do.

Template used site is in version of 3.2.10 and import site version is 2.9.3, Would this make any issues?

User

It could well create some issues, I couldn't say for sure. You will just have to try it out and see.

User

Quote Originally Posted by senthil View Post
    Thanks for your comments.
    Ok. I will do.

Template used site is in version of 3.2.10 and import site version is 2.9.3, Would this make any issues?
    Will not work... because the DB is complete different.

But as mentioned above you can make a update from 2.9.3 to 3.2.10.
    Last edited by ciaobello; 06/17/2014 at 16:09.

User

Quote Originally Posted by markclaus View Post
    If its from another contao based website, you need to export the template by using the BackupDB extension. Then you can import the generated .cto file with the contao install tool.
    what if the current installation does not have any extension manager? i would have to update to a version that has the manager built in and even then the template wont work on the latest contao?
    it would be a lot easier to just export the site structure from any contao version and then import it into the latest version, rather try to update an old version all the way up to the latest version to get the site going...

You don't need the "Extension manager" back end module to install an extension. It was (and still is) always possible to install any extension by hand. Just download the extension from the extension repository and transfer (via FTP) all the relevant files and folders from the ZIP archive to the TYPOlight/Contao installation (system/modules folder). To update the database, run the install tool and perform the DB update (if available).

However, be aware that you cannot transfer themes or SQL website templates between different TYPOlight/Contao versions (since most likely the database structure has changed). Therefore, the only way to go would be to update the installation accordingly.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options