Thread: Bootstrap

Beitrag Bootstrap

Hi,

I'd like to know if Contao is compatible with Bootstrap. I know if compatible with Foundation, so I guess it is, but would like to confirm this is the case.

Are there any important considerations to have in mind?

Thanks.
    Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I'd like to know if Contao is compatible with Bootstrap.
    Yes, it is. There are some third-party extensions in the extension repository or on GitHub/Packagist/Composer that cover the Bootstrap framework implementation:
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

in German...for Germans only.

I see in the extensions you have Bootstrap columns, Bootsrap this, Bootstrap that. What if I download directly from their site?
    Carolina

User

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    in German...for Germans only.
    Not really, British or Americans are invited to translate it with translate.google.com or similar and make their own Tutorials in en.contaowiki.org.

Opensource means you have the right to use the code, change it if you can or hire someone who does it for you, if you have special needs (with keeping in mind the specific License Model of OSS). But services around Contao or any other Opensource Software can not be granted for free!

As Contao is born in Germany and the focus was first the German region, there are missing informations/tutorials in other languages. Platforms to grow internationally are existing (wiki, forum, website), just willing helpers are missing

About using the original bootstrap framework with Contao, if you have the necessary knowledge you can do so (you need the specific knowledge also if you use it with the extension). It is just so, that "nezmacht" exactly made the integration of this framework into contao with the extension. You have less handwork to integrate it.

The tutorial is based on Contao 3.1 version of the extension. A update is ongoing if you use the Github version.
    Last edited by ciaobello; 08/06/2014 at 14:37.

Using a CSS framework like bootstrap is just to load the frameworks CSS and JS files in the front end which then interacts with the HTML code.

If you search for *.html5 in Contao 3.3.4 you get 182 templates. Exclude the 34 be_*.html5 which are for back end only and there will be 148 templates left.

Those 148 templates which are responsible for front end output are not coded in bootstrap style, they are in Contao style.

You have to change those 148 templates to bootstrap style. Additionaly you have to change the templates from extensions you install and use in front end. Plus you have to check templates after you update a Contao version or an extension.

For those reasons a CSS framework like bootstrap should offer its own CMS or a CMS should be explicitly built for a special CSS framework. Otherwise you're only able to use a CSS framework if you build your own HTML code i.e. with static built html pages. Or you could try using only some parts of a CSS framework.
    Last edited by Andreas; 08/07/2014 at 14:00.
    Web-Development, Freelancer, Burgtech, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, PHP, Javascript, MooTools, MySQL and more
    Amazon wishlist