Thread: (Contao 4) Not writing into the database

New user

Ausrufezeichen (Contao 4) Not writing into the database

Hi. I have been trying to install Contao 4.0.0 for a while and I cannot figure out for the life of me what the problem is.

On Terminal everything seems to be alright, no flags. After everything is apparently installed I try to go to mywebsite/app.php/contao/install and then it tells me it cannot be found. After trying to install it 4 times I finally checked the database to see if I could find out what was going on and then I saw that the database was completely empty.

Not one single table was created. I re-checked the database info in the app/config/parameters.yml and all the data is correct (db name, username, password, host, port). I have no idea why it is not working or what the problem is.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by serenatk View Post
    After trying to install it 4 times I finally checked the database to see if I could find out what was going on and then I saw that the database was completely empty. Not one single table was created.
    That's correct since the database structure is created only by the install tool. The only question is why the install tool is not found on your system. Did you enable an ".htaccess" file in the document root web subfolder? An URL rewriting issue?
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

No, I have not dealt with the .htaccess file. I have deleted everything else I had in my folder before trying to install it. It was completely empty.

I'm trying to install it on my TLD, php 5.6, Unix system.

Did you set the DocumentRoot to the web/ subfolder?
    → Support options

New user

No. Should I have done it? How do I do it? Nothing like that showed up when I was installing through Terminal…

See the section ".htaccess binding" from the Contao 4.0.0-beta1 news article.

You'd have to set the DocumentRoot to the web/ subfolder, i.e. your domain name should point directly to this subfolder. Usually, you can set the DocumentRoot in the domain configuration of your hosting provider.

EDIT: You could also try to add the URL fragment "web", i.e. just open mywebsite/web/app.php/contao/install.
    Last edited by xchs; 07/21/2015 at 20:17.
    → Support options

New user

Just changed the documentroot and was able to access the install tool. However, now it tells me it cannot connect to the database:

"Check the database connection
    Not connected to a database!
    The database connection is configured in the app/config/parameters.yml file."

Re-checked it again, the data is correct. What can it be now? Any idea?

What did you set for the database_host parameter? Usually, it should work with localhost but it could well be that you need to set up a different database host address.
    → Support options

New user

It is the URL address to the mySQL server. My hosting company does not work with "localhost."

Talking about address, on my homepage has the following message: "To customize this notice, create a custom Twig template overriding @ContaoCore/Error/service_unavailable.html.twig."
    Do you know where exactly is this file located?

It is the URL address to the mySQL server. My hosting company does not work with "localhost."
    Hm, no idea then, sorry. Eventually you could also try to set up another Contao 3.5 installation on the same web space and with the same database settings that you used for the Contao 4 install. I'm quite sure there is something wrong with the database host.

Talking about address, on my homepage has the following message: "To customize this notice, create a custom Twig template overriding @ContaoCore/Error/service_unavailable.html.twig."
    Do you know where exactly is this file located?
    The original template is located here: /vendor/contao/core-bundle/src/Resources/views/Error/service_unavailable.html.twig
    → Support options

New user

Thank you.

I don't have a problem installing other versions of Contao. But since I'm starting this site from scratch, the version 4.0.0. is available, and they have no idea when/if they will publish a way of upgrading, I wanted to start with the newest version available. :-/

I'm sorry that I can not help you here. I had actually no problems when setting up a new Contao 4 installation. But I have to admit that I have always tested only with localhost for the database host.
    → Support options

New user

Frage

I am wondering if this can be a bug. I researched this afternoon and could not find anything about it. There is very few information about Contao 4 out there, especially in English. I've read some about it from German, with the help of Google Translator, but still could not find what I'm looking for…

Would be nice to find other people who either had the same problem or who have sucessfully installed Contao 4.0 without using localhost.