Thread: streamlining usability?

New user

Default streamlining usability?

Hello,

i am looking into TYPOlight to see if it is suitable for some of our smaller projects. One thing i found is that the content editing workflow doesn't seem to be really streamlined and can be quiet confusing. Let me explain:

- a user first has to make a page in the site structure, this page has a title
    - then the user has to make an article inside this page, this article also has a title
    - then the user has to add a content element to this article, this content element also has a title.
    - How can the user know which of these 3 titles is shown as the title of the page? This is unclear
    - How can we modify the system to automatically create an article with one text content element when the user creates a new page in the structure, because this is in over 80% of the times the same actions that someone does. Or maybe create a wizard for this?
    - When i change a content type, or select a page layout checkbox, i first have to save the new page or content item, and then i can see the properties of the new selection. Isn't there a way to show these new properties inline without saving and reloading the page? This feels very awkward and not userfriendly.

cheers, Olaf

User

Default Re: streamlining usability?

Hi Olaf,
    that topic has been discussed before. Personally, I could live without articles, but it's the structure Leo chose in the beginning and it also has advantages.

Further on:
    this content element also has a title
    That's not true.

How can the user know which of these 3 titles is shown as the title of the page? This is unclear
    Normally, it will be the page title. Article title is, for example, needed to build an alias and thus a semantic URL in case of more than 1 article per page (..articles/article-title.html).

How can we modify the system to automatically create an article with one text content element when the user creates a new page in the structure
    There's an open ticket for a "save page & create article"-button. The text element maybe a nice option in settings once the new button's there. But we shouldn't leave all the work to Leo, you can also build an extension... Also there's an open ticket to directly access articles from the pagestructure interface.

When i change a content type, or select a page layout checkbox, i first have to save the new page or content item
    Again, not true (for 2.7.2 at least).

cheers
    Antipitch

Community-Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by olafmol
    How can we modify the system to automatically create an article with one text content element when the user creates a new page in the structure, because this is in over 80% of the times the same actions that someone does. Or maybe create a wizard for this?
    there is an extension called "autoarticle". With this extension the article gets created with the page - and additionally can also be published right away. -> http://www.typolight.org/extension-l....10029.en.html

Greets
    Stefan

New user

1.[quote:1x5fxf5i]this content element also has a title
    That's not true.[/quote:1x5fxf5i]

in the meta information there is a field page title. There is also page name. It's not clear what is what.

2.[quote:1x5fxf5i]How can the user know which of these 3 titles is shown as the title of the page? This is unclear
    Normally, it will be the page title. Article title is, for example, needed to build an alias and thus a semantic URL in case of more than 1 article per page (..articles/article-title.html).[/quote:1x5fxf5i]

ok

3.[quote:1x5fxf5i]How can we modify the system to automatically create an article with one text content element when the user creates a new page in the structure
    There's an open ticket for a "save page & create article"-button. The text element maybe a nice option in settings once the new button's there. But we shouldn't leave all the work to Leo, you can also build an extension... Also there's an open ticket to directly access articles from the pagestructure interface.[/quote:1x5fxf5i]

the autoarticle extension seems interesting for this

4. [quote:1x5fxf5i]When i change a content type, or select a page layout checkbox, i first have to save the new page or content item
    Again, not true (for 2.7.2 at least).[/quote:1x5fxf5i]

it seems my browser didn't cooperate, now i see this ok

User

Hi olafmol,

I agree the workflow isn't very simple. But since i installed the auto article module it has imroved the work flow massively and saved me a lot of time, plus it has made it a lot easier for people i have set Typolight up for to understand and use.

It's all well and good for people who use typolight all the time to know how it works, but it's when you create a site for someone and then have to show them where it can get difficult.

For me the best solution would be for the autoarticle to also create a headline content element using the same title as the page and article. This would mean all you have to do after that is add some text or what ever other content you like. This would suit me down to the ground and i think the work flow then would be fine.

To go one step further maybe even add a text area to the 'add a new page' which will allow you to create a basic page with new article and text content element with headline just by adding a page in the site structure.

This would be a very quick way for new users to add simple text pages.
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page