Thread: [nbsp]??

New user

Default [nbsp]??

Hi folks.

I'm using the new TL version for the first time. I imported text from word into the editor and then removed all word formatting by clicking the eraser. What worked fine in previous versions now leaves code like "[nbsp]" or:

[lt]!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Monotype Corsiva"; panose-1:3 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:script; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-... etc.

with the text I pasted and then has to be removed manually. I'm sure there's a simple setting that will prevent this from happening, but I can't find it. Can anyone give a tip? Thanks.

User

Default Re: [nbsp]??

As far as I can see the cause is not down to TYPOlight, but it's some function of TinyMCE. It substitutes an empty space with [nbsp] (for non breaking space), or > with [gt], for example.

Maybe you can check on http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/ what they say. It wasn't in previous versions, so I guess that this has been added or activated in the latest version of TinyMCE that comes with TL.

Let us know if you find out anything -- I also find this a bit annoying, as regular editors will not be able to make much sense of it.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

It is a TYPOlight feature though, so you probably won't get an answer at the TinyMCE website.

There are a few allowed HTML entities in TYPOlight which have to be escaped to pass the XSS class. I find it very helpful to actually see those entities in TinyMCE now, because it keeps me from writing meaningless code like

</p>
    or &nsbp;something.

If you want to get rid of it, you can disable non-breaking spaces in the TinyMCE configuration file.

New user

If you want to get rid of it, you can disable non-breaking spaces in the TinyMCE configuration file.
    Hi,

Since I am not a Javascript guru ops: could you please tell me how this can be done?
    Thanks a lot.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Open file system/config/tinyMCE.php and change the following line

Code:
    entities : "160,nbsp,60,lt,62,gt",
    to

Code:
    entities : "60,lt,62,gt",

New user

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've edited the file but now, instead of [nbsp], it displays [&60].
    Any other suggestions to stop displaying these entities?

New user

found a solution, etravel? Leo?

New user

Hi Swissmiss,
    Unfortunately not and that [nbsp] entity is extremely annoying and does not help me increase my productivity.

New user

I answered that in the French forum : http://www.typolight.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=668

Open file "system/config/tinyMCE.php" and add the line :

Code:
    entity_encoding : "numeric",
    above the line

Code:
    entities : "160,nbsp,60,lt,62,gt",

New user

Hi all-maps-welcome,
    Please try to replace the famous line with this one:
    entities : "60, lt, 62, gt", but note that
    you must insert a space after each comma, otherwise it will not work.
    This line solved my problem. In fact the solution offered by Leo was correct from the first moment, but
    that space after the commas must be specified also. I shall write this in the French forum also.
    Hope it helps.

Regards,

Etravel

New user

Hi etravel,

I think both solutions work.

1st solution : non-breaking spaces aren't encoded as entities => thus no [nbsp]
    2nd solution : non-breaking spaces are encoded as numeric entities (&#160; instead of ) => thus no [nbsp]

But even if we use entity_encoding : "numeric", > and < are encoded as name entities and not numeric entities. I don't get why but ... whatever

Quote Originally Posted by etravel
    note that you must insert a space after each comma, otherwise it will not work.
    It tried and it seems to work without space too...