Thread: custom sections not working?

User

Default custom sections not working?

Looking around, couldn't find an answer to this ... using custom sections .... have them set up under settings (first problem: found out that the order you have defined them is the order you HAVE TO use them in page layout ... very annoying, but I can deal). Now I have my sections all set, in page layout I chose to have them put inside the main section ... but that doesn't happen. Instead the empty main section is output, then my 3 custom sections below.

Oh, one more thing! On the page layout when I try to order each module, all of my custom sections keep dropping to the bottom, with the footer just above. BUT the output is correct: custom sections then footer output; page layout just makes you think it won't be right.

does anybody have any custom section mojo?
    Cheers,

--- Link removed according to the forum rules ---
    Follow me on Twitter

Experienced user

Default Re: custom sections not working?

hi bill,
    the order you have defined them is the order you HAVE TO use them in page layout
    this is the order they are outputted into the html, but you can position them anywhere using css. Or redefine their order in settings if you need to.
    in page layout I chose to have them put inside the main section ... but that doesn't happen. Instead the empty main section is output, then my 3 custom sections below
    wierd, do you have a page code i can look at? custom nav should be inside main if thats where you put it.
    On the page layout when I try to order each module, all of my custom sections keep dropping to the bottom
    This is normal, when you save the "Included modules" it will reorder them header,left,main,right,footer,custom1,custom2 etc so they are grouped together.... this only affects output in the sense that right_module 1 will come before right_module2.

User

this is the order they are outputted into the html, but you can position them anywhere using css. Or redefine their order in settings if you need to.
    that seems screwy. inflexible. yeah, there is a work around, but in terms of positioning, even with css sometimes you need divs in a certain order ... like my case: three inline floats.
    wierd, do you have a page code i can look at? custom nav should be inside main if thats where you put it.
    sort of my mistake ... it is in the main, but didn't output like I expected
    Code:
    <div id="main">
    <div class="inside">
    </div>
    <div class="custom">
    <div id="frontpage-right">
    <div class="inside">
    so, it's in main, but not "inside". I guess it works, but doesn't perform as expected.
    On the page layout when I try to order each module, all of my custom sections keep dropping to the bottom
    This is normal, when you save the "Included modules" it will reorder them header,left,main,right,footer,custom1,custom2 etc so they are grouped together.... this only affects output in the sense that right_module 1 will come before right_module2.
    hummm .... normal .... doesn't seem very intuitive. normal for TL maybe. I don't think that's how people would expect it to work.
    thanks for the clarifications ... this helped.
    Cheers,

Follow me on Twitter

Experienced user

Maybe selecting "after the header" would be better for you? This will put them before the main div.

User

na, I tried that. because of the page css that makes things go totally crazy. I'm all set.

Thanks a bunch!
    Cheers,

Follow me on Twitter