Thread: Call for Participation: Feed TYPOlight by Email

Default Call for Participation: Feed TYPOlight by Email

Dear TYPOlight community,

during the last year I have been developing a custom TYPOlight module. The goal was to add content to a website using email. In my case, the website features a sailing logbook which is updated from the middle of the ocean using email. Emails are sent to a specific email address. Whenever a new email arrives it gets displayed in the logbook. Once you get the module installed, it is very easy to use.

The tough part is the installation though. That is why I would like to advertise my project to the community. If someone of you feels the need for such a module, please feel free to download it and extend it. In particular, to make the project available for a broader audience a simpler installation is definitely necessary.

You will find my software here:

http://www.windquestsailing.com/software.html

I am also interested in whether I have correctly licensed my code. If you spot any mistakes I have made please answer to this post. Thanks a lot!

Thanks and best regards,

Wellenreiter

Default Re: Call for Participation: Feed TYPOlight by Email

I hope I did not violate board rule #6:
    6. Do not advertise in the forum
    If so, please delete this thread.

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Since it is a TYPOlight module, it does not violate the rules. Is there no way to implement the feature in PHP only? Did you have to use Perl due to insufficient permissions of the PHP process? Just curious

I am just more familiar with Perl than PHP. Perl's job is to check the POP3 mailbox, parse emails, and insert them into the database. I think this can be done in PHP as well. If I find some time in the future I will try to convert it entirely to PHP.

Leo, is the licensing ok?

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

LGPL version 2.1 is not compatible to version 3, which we are using for TYPOlight (implicitly ever since and explicitly from version 2.8).

Thanks for your feedback. I created a new release and put it under the LGPL version 3 license.

New user

Hi there!

I am very interested in your module/script. I too am a sailor and would like to update the site via email. I have installed the module and cgi-bin bits. I have changed the required code segments in the Mail.pl and MySql.pl files to match my installation and email settings.

The good news is I can now see it in the back end, tables in the MySql database, and the modules work correctly on the front end. I can add a post via the backend and see it in the front end.

My problem is that I can't seem to get it to update when I send an email message to the logs@.... address. I have re-checked everything but still cant seem to get it to download the emails.

Is there something I need to do ref scheduling, like the Cron scheduler? Or should it just pull the emails down?? I have never worked with CGI scripts so am a bit of a newbie there. I am on Typolight 2.7.1. My other thought is that perhaps the location to my CGI-Bin is different from yours? Would this make a difference?

I can send any files as necessary if you could help?

Thanks

Fair Winds

Matt