Thread: Alerting the user when a form is completed

New user

Default Alerting the user when a form is completed

I've added a table, created a form, posted the contents of the form to the table and can send myself a mail when a user submits the form. So far so good. What I want to do though is send the mail to the user and not to me.

For example, I'm setting up a page where people can register interest in attending a BBQ. They fill in their name, email address, number of adults, etc . . . and all that gets stored in the database so we can review it. What I want to do is to send them an email that contains either the plain text form data that they submitted or (even better) a mail merge type response which includes the data they submitted wrapped up in some custom text.

I can see in the registration module that there's an option to send a mail an activation mail - I want to replicate this on my BBQ form, but I'm stumped.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks,

z

User

Default Re: Alerting the user when a form is completed

There is an extension that provides this option. Extended Form Generator it is called I think. Might it not do exactly what you want then I know that this is easily edited in the source because I once needed a similar thing and just switched two variable to get it done....

But in short: look at the extension EFG

New user

Thanks Vera - I haven't looked at extensions up to now, but when I go to look at the extension manager it tells me "SOAP extension not loaded (configure PHP with --enable-soap)."

I have opened a ticket with my hosting provider, because from what little I understand of this, it means that SOAP support wasn't built in when PHP was compiled so I'm going to need them to recompile. Although I hope I'm wrong. If getting SOAP support is going to be a long term (or impossible) thing, is there a way to install extensions without going through the extensions manager ?

Did you indicate that you were able to manage something similar to the 'mail the user' function by modifying a source file within typolight, or was this after you had the extension loaded ?

And finally, I would have thought that this type of thing could/would have been achieved by using a token/variable for the address to be used - either use "me@domain.com" or %%this_form|field_1%% or something similar. Is this just a function which isn't available yet or is it available and I haven't worked out how to use it yet ?

Thanks,

z

New user

Well, first of, for you SOAP problem, a quick fix could be the this extension
    http://www.typolight.org/extension-list ... 09.en.html
    once downloaded and manually installed you should be able to use the extension repository.
    And the extended form generator (efg) is definitely what you need.
    In the form definition you can check to send a verification email. In a drop down box you can select the field that contains the email where it should go to and the way you write the confirmation email is with placeholders with the name of the input field. For example:
    Code:
    Name: {{form::Name}}
    I hope this helped you
    cheers Aaron

User

You do not need the repository nor manager to install extensions. Having one makes it easier though. You can download all extensions from the typolight website. You just need to upload the files and run the install script to update the database (typolight/install.php)

New user

Thanks both - my ISP is working on the SOAP part, but I will try the 'download manually' part tomorrow and see how that plays out.

z