Thread: Backend login fails!

New user

Default Backend login fails!

We run several sites using Contao and one still with Typolight. We have not changed any config files on our server and yet since last week all backend accounts (admins and regular users) are failing to login with no error message being displayed. The frontend of the websites work fine including their forms.

Has anyone else's site just stopped logging in?

PS: Other sites we run using other CMSs (MODx/Frog) are logging in fine.

New user

Default Re: Backend login fails!

Turns out that this is an IE, Opera and Chrome (haven't tried Safari) issue as Firefox works perfectly.

On checking the system log in the Contao backend it is registering each login as successful but with no transfer page to main.php (except for Firefox). I have noticed several Windows updates recently, could this be responsible?

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

***EDIT *** I don't think this is a Windows problem either as just tested and found the same issue on an Ubuntu OS!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_At_Reach_Out
    ***EDIT *** I don't think this is a Windows problem either as just tested and found the same issue on an Ubuntu OS!
    In the past I had problem with backend log in on Linux. The only solution was disable in setting "Disable referer check". But it was long time ago.
    Marcin

http://www.contao.pl - Polish Support Site
    http://forum.contao.pl - Polish Contao community forum

-----------------------
    Need custom template? Feel free to contact me by e-mail marcin@contao.pl

New user

Thanks for your input. How do I do that for testing purposes?

I've been on this all day now and still I am nowhere to fixing this.. Firefox works perfectly. Every other browser logs in (according to the system log) but the actual webpage remains on the contao backend login screen instead of moving to the dashboard.

I've updated all sites to 2.9.1 but this has made no difference. The only thing I've got to go on is that I do have another server running x1 typolight site (2.8.1) and that logs in to the backend just fine.

There is a difference to the php version on the two servers, could this be an issue? I can't see how considering all sites on both servers were working 100% last week..

If anyone feels it is a server configuration issue please note this is not my strong point so any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Experienced user

How do I do that for testing purposes?
    disable in setting "Disable referer check"
    Tick the checkbox Settings::Disable referer check and see if it makes a difference.
    Has your host made changes to your hosting environment last week?
    Run the system check tool may help?
    Maybe your htaccess files?
    Stabs in the dark only sorry.

User

I have the same problem
    in Firefox - works

in another browser - can't login - no errors (in adress "referer=...")

Disable referer check - true
    sorry for my english

I'd also try checking Disable IP Check... I had a client where for some awful reason their office router would switch back and forth from a set of IP addresses, and the session would get terminated every time it did so.

If you do disable both the referer check and the IP check and that helps, I would suggest looking at fixing the reasons behind needing to do so as they are definitely potential security risks.

User

I disabled both...
    but
    strange...
    after a while it worked
    sorry for my english

New user

I was having a similar problem... would not let me logon to backoffice. Would simple get index.php?referer= and a string. This was happening for all browsers from the same computer but other computers were fine. The problem is that the browsers were installed on the D: drive for some reason. Once I installed the browsers on the C: drive, it worked fine. I'm using typolight 2.7.5. Hope this helps.