Thread: Is the News system broken?

New user

Default Is the News system broken?

I've been exploring the backend of Contao 2.9.5 to learn how to build a site with it. For the home page, I wanted a site news update section, and then a separate blog. Here is the rough site I'd been experimenting with: http://azkumor.com/somnia/. The problem is that the news list doesn't seem to acknowledge the alias I assigned to the news articles. The links in the news titles and the read more links only go to the page the news list appeared on. The blog archive page doesn't even acknowledge that an entry happened earlier today. Nothing whatsoever is appearing in the reader pages.

Is there a way to work around this or is the news system in my installation just broken?

Experienced user

Default Re: Is the News system broken?

In order for those links to work, you need to define a "Redirect Page" in the news archive settings.

That should be set to the page you have the news reader module on.

You won't see anything on a reader page if you go to it directly -- the reader needs to know which article to show. It is told what to show though the URL (something like "/the-reader-page/items/the-article-alias.html").

Not sure about the archive issue, but try getting this working first and we'll work on the other. It's probably just a setting somewhere.
    Brian

New user

Thank you! It took some more experimenting as I tried to follow your advice. I finally got it working. Thank you so much!

Now I am wondering if someone can help me with another problem. I've done every thing that I can do to style ce_comments. But any attempts to do any right margins and any borders seem to be ignored. I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've even made my own css id and assigned it to the comments element for the article, yet it is also ignored. I also made my own css id and assigned it to a comments module, and it's the same thing. It's all ignored. Does anyone have any ideas?

New user

Can you link to the page you're having problem with? Hard to help without actually seeing the css in action

New user

Here is an example of styling the ce_comments itself. You'll see that the top and bottom margins have moved as they should. It's a copy and paste from the default theme's css because when I added them myself, it was ignored. The right margin, right padding and top line border that I added to it are completely ignored from that very css, though.

http://azkumor.com/somnia/poetry.html

New user

I've figured out most of the css, now. Going to that link from my previous reply will show perfectly functioning margins, padding, and borders, which was what it was supposed to do. I really did appreciate the help with the news system. :D