Thread: Update/copy a blob-field

New user

Default Update/copy a blob-field

Hi,
    I need to update a blob-field via phpmyadmin. Can someone please tell me how to do that?

I've tried to use update, but can't figure out how to write it.
    The fields I want to be public is shown below. In the database and the table tl_member the column publicFields is a blob.

UPDATE `tl_member` SET `publicFields`="firstname" & "lastname" & "mobile" & "email" & "phone" & "xt_land" & "xt_position" & "xt_region" & "xt_year" & "avatar" WHERE `id`=1820

If its possible to copy a blob somehow, and paste it that would be great.

I have read pages on unserializing, but I don't understand it! Also, I have seen on this forum that there is a function called deserialize, but I don't know if/how a deserialized blob can be copied or edited.

I'm sorry for my newbie question!

/Annika

Experienced user

Default Re: Update/copy a blob-field

I need to update a blob-field via phpmyadmin.
    I'm no expert but I don't think you can unless you enter the data in serialized form, which requires php processing.
    What is in the blob is not data as such, but a representation of the data (so not easily manipulated - ie: you can't search or query it in MySQL)

I have read pages on unserializing, but I don't understand it!
    Contao enters data into certain fields as a serialized array. (eg: the member groups and, as you point out, the publicFields).

To see this data in "real" form requires unserializing (a php function) to get an array , and then looping the array to get its parts.

This probably won't help you, but for me to print the serialized array "openhome_dates" onto an html page via the variable "calendarshow" , I need to do this:
    Code:
    $openhomes = deserialize($objHousesella->openhome_dates);
    if(is_array($openhomes) && count($openhomes) > 0)
    {
        $calendarshow .= '<div class="openhome_dates">';
        foreach($openhomes as $openhome)
        {
              $calendarshow .= '<div class="openhome_date">
                                               <span class="listinglabel openhomelabel">Start: </span><span class="listingtext openhomestart">'.$openhome[0].'</span>
    		            <span class="listinglabel openhomelabel">End: </span><span class="listingtext openhomeend">'.$openhome[1].'</span>
    		    </div>';
         }					
         $calendarshow .= '</div>';		
    }
    "openhome_dates" consists of an undetermined number of rows of two dates, which the foreach loop outputs each loop as $openhome[0] and $openhome[1].

Likewise, inserting the data into MySql requires it to be made into an array, and then serialized before insertion.
    Contao, or a custom widget, generally handles this.

I think deserializing (which is a Contao function, not a php one) does both at once.

I'm sorry for my newbie question!
    It ain't no newbie question, its a damned complicated process. There is talk of doing away with this in a future Contao version in favour of readable csv values.

New user

Thank you for you answer Ramjet!

So, there is no way to copy a Blob then, or does anyone know a way (and have the time to tell me ) how to deserialize and serialize the data and then how to put in the data into the database?

Maybe it's better to make a template which gives all new members the same public data, so that it's already set somehow. Someone who knows how to do this?

/Annika

User

Quote Originally Posted by AnnikaW
    Thank you for you answer Ramjet!

So, there is no way to copy a Blob then, or does anyone know a way (and have the time to tell me ) how to deserialize and serialize the data and then how to put in the data into the database?

Maybe it's better to make a template which gives all new members the same public data, so that it's already set somehow. Someone who knows how to do this?

try adding to "system/config/dcaconfig.php" the following entry:

Code:
    $GLOBALS['TL_DCA']['tl_member']['fields']['publicFields']['default'] = array('firstname', 'lastname', 'mobile');

However I do not know from which extension comes the "publicFields" field in tl_member
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it