Thread: Search module not searching in news items?

New user
    Oss, North-Brabant, The Netherlands, Earth

Default Search module not searching in news items?

Hello,

I'm facing a problem which I doesn't seem to get solved. This is the case:

I am creating a blog using the news and tags module.
    When I search for something in the news items, it does not appear in my search results.

Searching through this forum did not give me any answers.
    I'd like to think that I have tried everything, so I have to conclude that it isn't possible for the search module to index my news items.
    Can anyone please tell me otherwise and help me to get it done. I am so hoping that I'm overlooking something, because it would be really a drag if the search module can't index news.

Thanks in advance for you're time.

Roger
    What's that? That can't be that necessary, I don't recognize it!

User

Default Re: Search module not searching in news items?

The news items are usually indexed correctly.

Check the following:

• The page that contains the news reader (or any of its parent) has the "Do not search" option checked (http://goo.gl/KPM46)[/*:m:2i6ag3mf]
    • The template assigned to the news reader module begins or contains a "" line somewhere before the content[/*:m:2i6ag3mf]

if any of the above is true your news items will not be indexed
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it

New user

He Ga.n,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I followed your advice and checked the pages and templates.
    And yes, there was and 'do not search checked' somewhere up in the tree.

Now the search is also working for the news module..!

Does the search module normally index every module used on pages like, let's say, the Catalog module?
    It is a bit vague how the search module does it's magic. And when.
    I guess it has something to do with the cron job, but when does that run anyways...

I stumbled on a little thing while testing the search and news.
    Because the blog is on a subdomain and the rest of the site isn't, the search result links pointing to the blog posts don't point to the blog domain.

I can solve that in the template by looking for the reader page and fixing the link, but is there an other way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

User

Quote Originally Posted by sitevisions_nl
    Does the search module normally index every module used on pages like, let's say, the Catalog module?
    It is a bit vague how the search module does it's magic. And when.
    I guess it has something to do with the cron job, but when does that run anyways...
    Every page is indexed when an user (i.e. a visitor) visit it. You can rebuild the search index manually in the backend under "Maintenance". There is also an extension that let you rebuild the search index using cron but I never tried it (I will do in the near future)

Quote Originally Posted by sitevisions_nl
    I stumbled on a little thing while testing the search and news.
    Because the blog is on a subdomain and the rest of the site isn't, the search result links pointing to the blog posts don't point to the blog domain.
    I can solve that in the template by looking for the reader page and fixing the link, but is there an other way to fix this?
    It is a good idea to start another thread because this is a different problem. However when you create a search module you can specify from which page it should start to search. Just select you subdomain root.
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it

New user

Hey Ga.n,

Thanks for answering my questions. It is good to know how things really work.
    I hope that a page isn't indexed everytime a user visits it, because that would be a seriously performance loss.

It is a good idea to start another thread because this is a different problem. However when you create a search module you can specify from which page it should start to search. Just select you subdomain root.
    I have the problem solved in the template, but I will consider to start a new topic about this. You're solution will not work for me because I want to search both domains because the blog is part of the website but is on a subdomain.

Thanks anyways!

Roger