Thread: Enabling Google Analytics tracking code - Contao 2.11

User

Default Enabling Google Analytics tracking code - Contao 2.11

Hi,

Just trying to get Google Analytics tracking code up and running on Contao 2.11.11.
    I have installed the googleanalytics extension, and it appears in the Site Structure, where i can input the Google Analytics ID.
    As far as I have read, this was all i had to do. However, I don't see the script in the head tags.
    I guess Im missing something here.
    In the past I've just manually added such a script, but as im using Contao, i guess this is a different process somehow.
    Also, I don't want to do the incorrect thing and have the script in the front end. I want it correctly inserted into a template i guess.
    Now, i have read somewhere about how to set up a template, where the option to choose the googleanalytics template should be available in in the drop down menu in the templates section, which i don't see. It should be named analytics_google.html5.
    However i did find mod_googleanalytics.html5, but im guessing thats connected with the googleanalytics module, which i have installed. Do i need it installed? Not sure, answers on a postcard please.

If someone kind can help guide me through implementing this correctly?
    Or do i need to update Contao to get this to function? I'm hoping the answer to that is, no. :D

Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by markclaus; 05/14/2014 at 16:04.

If I'm not mistaken, there's no tracking, as long as you're logged into the back end. So, just log out from the back end or open the front end in another browser.

Admins (logged in at the backend) and logged in members can be ignored for counting
    (see https://contao.org/en/extension-list...lytics.en.html)
    Last edited by xchs; 05/14/2014 at 18:14.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Quote Originally Posted by markclaus View Post
    It should be named analytics_google.html5.
    However i did find mod_googleanalytics.html5, but im guessing thats connected with the googleanalytics module, which i have installed.
    I just installed googleanalytics in my 2.11.17 version and in my 3.2.9 . In 2.11.17 the template is called mod_googleanalytics.html5, in the 3.2.9 it's analytics_google.html5 .
    The post you read is probably for contao version 3 .
    What I understood here:
    http://forum.contao.fr/utilisation/u...ics-t2589.html
    You have to insert the google-code in both files ("analytics_google.html5" and "analytics_google.xhtml").
    But I think you can go on with your contao version 2 . Has to be the same procedure I think.
    But try to update to 2.11.17 (for security reasons).
    Klaus

User

OK, Thanks for your feedback. Ill look into upgrading to Contao 2.11.17. Can that be done manually, as all i get in maintenance is the option to do a Live update to the latest version, which i don't want to do yet.

I forgot that i need to, not only log out of the backend, but also wait 24 hours before any tracking events get recorded by Google.
    So, after having slept last night.....soundly i might add.......i came back to find that what id done yesterday resulted in it all working ok, thats without having the mod_googleanalytics.xhtml file, just using the mod_googleanalytics.html5. Which was nice.
    So i guess now the trick is to see how I can start to customise the tracking to scrape any deeper information i might be able to get.
    One other thing that arises as a question is that if i have language versions, do i need to create the googleanalytics module file in both language roots? If that makes sense, cos i don't know if that makes make sense myself:S

Just out of interest, and a slightly different topic, sorry..........i know i should start a new thread.........it was to do with favicons. But I've just found an extension to create ICO files, so ill give that a go. Now I've answered my own question on that, back to Analytics

Any interesting links you know of that explain how to go about customising the Google tracking code?

Thanks again for your time, and have a nice day:D
    Last edited by markclaus; 05/15/2014 at 10:29.

User

Default Bump

Just need to bump this, sorry. i need to know where i can obtain version 2.11.17.
    Also any information regarding the install of this version would be very helpful.
    I don't currently want to perform a LiveUpdate to version 3.x

many thanks

i need to know where i can obtain version 2.11.17.
    https://github.com/contao/core/releases/tag/2.11.17

Also any information regarding the install of this version would be very helpful.
    The update to version 2.11.17 is merely a bugfix update, i.e. actually there should be no problems.
    Just to be safe: create first a full backup!

https://contao.org/en/manual/2.11/in...#manual-update
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Cheers,

i did actually find the github repo late yesterday and forgot to mention it here.

So, just so i understand what i need to do to manually update, can you confirm these steps are correct? This would be greatly appreciated.

back up:
    system/config/dcaconfig.php
    system/config/initconfig.php
    system/config/langconfig.php
    system/config/localconfig.php
    templates/*
    tl_files/*

OR:
    backup the whole contao directory from the server (i guess this is the better option)

THEN:
    unpack version 2.11.17 and upload it to the server, overwriting when promoted.

THEN:
    Reupload and restore the backup to the server

THEN:
    update the database

would this be correct?
    many thanks